As a WordPress Developer, you're responsible for Making Stuff Go. You will build infrastructure to create new features, improve existing code, squash bugs, and help us rapidly scale our platform.
Interested? See "How to Apply" below to learn more before applying.
To love this role, here's the type of person you are:
- You're a self-starter who loves taking initiative and seeing things through from conception to completion. Our developers often "own" features/tasks and are responsible for scoping, development, and testing.
- You're an excellent communicator, fluent in both verbal and written English, who makes sure nothing slips through the cracks. We believe communication is critical and there is no such thing as over communicating.
- You have the curiosity and desire to learn and grow your skills.
- You're passionate about leaving your mark on the web for all to see and are excited to work on tasks that impact millions of users.
- You take pride in the quality if you and craftsmanship of your work rather than just doing it to get it done.
- You're a team player who is comfortable working along side and helping other developers, and you don't take critical feedback personally.
- You're happy jumping between front-end and back-end development tasks, or tackling tasks which require both.
- You're happy working on tasks of all sizes - from small bug fixes and enhancements to large features/rewrites.
Common Responsibilities Include (but Are Not Limited To)
- Triaging bugs and small enhancements that come into GitHub.
- Scoping, writing, and testing new product features and addons.
- Refactoring legacy code with a particular attention to backwards compatibility.
- Providing feedback and peer review for other developers (Github PRs).
- Communicating with the team and supporting your peers using chat, audio, and video.
Here Are Some Skills That Will Come Handy
- Professional experience with WordPress plugin development, architecture, and standards.
- Advanced proficiency with PHP and MySQL, including modern PHP practices (OOP, autoloading, namespacing, traits, interfaces, etc).
- Strong familiarity with JavasScript (vanilla JS, jQuery, ES6, etc).
- Ability to use and extend build tools like gulp and webpack.
- Familiarity with package managers such as Composer and NPM.
- Experience working with third-party APIs (Eg Stripe, Drip, Zapier, etc).
- Competent with version control through git and GitHub.
- The ability to iterate and ship ideas quickly.
- Exceptional troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to keep complex ideas and features simple . (Simplicity is a core value!)
- Previous freelance or remote work experience.
Bonus Points If You Also Have
- Experience with e-commerce platforms or related APIs (WooCommerce, Stripe, PayPal, etc).
- Experience with DevOps or infrastructure management.
What we offer
Working for a fast-growing bootstrapped company is a rare opportunity, one we consider a lifestyle choice rather than a job choice. Our positions are challenging, but also come with amazing advantages and fulfillment to those who earn them. Here's what we offer.
- Competitive Salary.
- Health, Dental and Vision Insurance benefits for full-time U.S. employees.
- Work from your home. We're spread out all over the world - United States, Canada, Ukraine, India, Pakistan, Singapore and more.
- Unlimited PTO after 90 days of employment. We encourage employees to take the time they need for vacation, to stay healthy, and to spend time with friends and family.
- Paid maternity and paternity leave.
- We happily provide or reimburse software you'll need as well as books or courses that promote continued learning.
- We give you the opportunity to solve challenging and meaningful problems that make a difference.
- Custom Branded laptop at your five year anniversary.
- We cover all costs of company travel (including our annual all-company retreat and mini-team meetups).
- Ability to work with some of the best people in the business through frequent, if not daily, interactions.
- And in case you were wondering: no politics, no b.s., and no jerks.
LocationPersonal Computer with Internet AccessAvailability to participate in audio/video meetings between the hours 9 am - 5 pm EST.
This is a remote position - our team is spread around the globe! Our home base is in Florida, USA, so company operating hours are 9am - 5pm ET (UTC -5). While full coverage is not a requirement, you must be available during a portion of the day.
At Awesome Motive, we strive to have the broadest possible view of diversity, going beyond visible differences to include the background, experiences, skills, and perspectives that make each person unique. Awesome Motive is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law.
How to apply?
If all of this sounds interesting, then please submit your application!
Please Clearly Include The Following In Your Cover Letter
- Your experience with WordPress plugin development.
- What is your favorite WordPress hook/function and why.
- Tell us a bit about yourself and why you should be considered. Details about your experience, qualifications, personality, etc are very helpful.
- Profile links with code samples (GitHub, GitLab, WordPress.org, etc).
- Other profile links if available (Your website, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc).
Also note, don't forget to proofread before submitting. Check spelling, capitalization, etc. This is your chance to make your application stand out :)
We won't be able to individually respond to all applications, but if we feel you're a strong match, someone will be in touch shortly. Qualified candidates will be asked to do a simple code challenge.
Thanks and we look forward to hearing from you!
Apply for This Job