Webflow is a visual web development platform that empowers non-coders to create incredible experiences for the web.
Webflow is looking for our first legal hire to develop and build our legal function. As our Director of Legal, you will be responsible for overseeing all day-to-day legal activities, such as commercial relationships, compliance matters, and various aspects of our corporate compliance and governance. This position will partner cross-functionally with our entire Executive Team and cross-functionally with Sales, People, Security, Engineering, Product, and Finance. This position will report to the VP of Finance.
About The Role
- Location: San Francisco HQ or Remote US
- Full time
As a Director of Legal, you will
- Partner with Webflow leadership, teams and other stakeholders to address legal matters, manage and scale the legal function
- Design and implement policies, systems and scalable workflows for legal and compliance
- Serve as project manager and internal legal point person for numerous Webflow legal and business priorities
- Work with the Finance and Sales teams to review and negotiate commercial contracts with a diverse range of customers and partners
- Provide support for several programs such as the employee stock option program and global compensation program
- Develop and drive the adoption of a corporate compliance program across the company and in partnership with internal stakeholders
- Manage outside counsel relationships and projects, as needed
That said, these responsibilities are just the start! At Webflow, we encourage you to contribute wherever your interests take you — and shape your role accordingly. And this isn't just a philosophical bent: we actually give you 4 hours a week (10% of the work week) to pursue passion projects outside of your role responsibilities.
You'll thrive as a Director of Legal if you have:
- 5+ years combined law firm and/or in-house legal department experience, including areas like corporate governance, product counseling, commercial agreements, contract negotiations and
- An understanding of global data privacy laws and principles, including GDPR and CCPA.
- Juris Doctorate/United States law degree and active bar membership in at least one US state (strong preference for California bar membership)
- You're comfortable working independently and are able to identify opportunities to escalate an issue or solicit advice from outside counsel
- Ability to work independently while being able to contribute successfully to cross-functional teams
- Sound and practical business judgment, intellectual curiosity, and are comfortable and adept at balancing risk and opportunity
- Excellent organizational skills; ability to manage multiple projects at once, follow through and meet deadlines
If you don't meet 100% of the above qualifications, you should still seriously consider applying. Studies show that you can still be considered for a role if you meet just 50% of the role's requirements.
At Webflow, we believe that our success will be defined not only by what we do — but also by how and why we do it. So, here is the Webflow "why" and our "how":
Our dual missions — one for the world, one for us
- For the world: To empower everyone to create for the web and spark an unprecedented wave of digital innovation.
- For ourselves: Lead fulfilling, impactful lives.
Our core behaviors (how we act)
- Start with customers
- Practice extraordinary kindness
- Be radically candid
- Move intentionally fast
- Just fix it
- Lead by serving others
- Dream big
Our commitments to you
- We'll pay you! This is a full-time, salaried position that includes equity
- We'll invest in your physical and mental well-being with health, dental, and vision benefits and a monthly stipend for health and wellness expenses
- We'll pay you to take a vacation … seriously. We'll give you a $1,000 bonus for taking your first vacation with us that is more than 5 days
- We offer flexible parental leave
- We provide remote employees with the equipment they need to create a great remote work environment
- We will offer you the support you need to help you grow as an impactful Director of Legal and a human being
Ready to apply?
If you share our values and our enthusiasm for empowering the world, we'd love to review your application!
Note: You'll need valid U.S. work authorization to join us.